• Goose or Mallard Breast Meat
• Virgin Olive Oil
• Powdered Garlic
• Horseradish or Mustard
• To prepare waterfowl for a sandwich cook the breast meat on
a BBQ. The timing for using this recipe requires a gas BBQ grill which has a cover.
• Preheat the BBQ on a high setting so it will be hot when ready
to cook. This should take about 10 minutes.
• While the BBQ is heating up remove all of the fat and
connective tissue from the breast.
• When determining the amount of meat to cook. Plan on using
one snow goose size breast for two sandwiches. One mallard
breast will make one sandwich.
• When the breast is ready to be cooked place the meat on a
dinner plate and cover the meat with a very thin layer of
virgin olive oil.
• Before placing the meat on the BBQ sprinkle one side of
the breast with a heavy layer of powdered garlic. The breast should turn white from the powder.
• Then place the meat with the garlic side down on the grill.
Before shutting the lid sprinkle the meat with another layer of garlic powder. Now there is garlic on both sides of the meat.
• Close the lid and set the timer.
• Cook birds the size of mallards for 3 minutes on each side,
small honkers and snow geese should be cooked for 3 1/2
minutes on each side and larger honkers should be cooked
for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Do not over cook the meat.
• The meat should be rare in the center when done.
• Once the meat is cooked put it on a plate and allow it to cool
before placing it in the refrigerator. The meat should be
stored in a sealed container or the refrigerator will take on a
• Allow the meat to get well chilled. I leave mine in the
refrigerator over night.
• Remove the meat from the refrigerator and place it on a
• Cut the meat as thin as possible. Make each slice as large as possible by cutting the meat at angle almost parallel to the
• Only cut enough meat for the number of sandwiches to be made.
• Cooked breast meat will stay moist in the refrigerator for several days.
• When making a sandwich just follow the same technique for a
roast beef sandwich.
• Use mayonnaise, salt and pepper, lettuce and tomatoes.
• The lettuce and tomatoes I use are fresh from my garden so
that makes each sandwich just that much better.
• Horseradish or specialty mustards may be used as a spread
to give the sandwich added zest.
• Cheese and pickles are good additions to the sandwich also.
• Precooking the breast meat and chilling it makes it easy to
prepare a sandwich. I think you will like this idea.