Submitted by: Dale - CA
- Goose or Mallard Breast Meat
- Virgin Olive Oil
- Powdered Garlic
- Horseradish or Mustard
- To prepare waterfowl for a sandwich cook the breast meat on a BBQ. The timingfor using this recipe requires a gas BBQ grill which has a cover.
- Preheat the BBQ on a high setting so it will be hot when ready to cook. This should take about 10 minutes.
- While the BBQ is heating up remove all of the fat and connective tissue from the breast.
- When determining the amount of meat to cook. Plan on using one snow goose size breast for two sandwiches. One mallard breast will make one sandwich.
- When the breast is ready to be cooked place the meat on a dinner plate and cover the meat with a very thin layer of virgin olive oil.
- Before placing the meat on the BBQ sprinkle one side of the breast with a heavy of powdered garlic. The breast should turn white from the powder.
- Then place the meat with the garlic side down on the grill.
- Before shutting the lid sprinkle the meat with another layer of garlic powder. Now there is garlic on both sides of the meat.
- Close the lid and set the timer.
- Cook birds the size of mallards for 3 minutes on each side, small honkers and snow geese should be cooked for 3 1/2 minutes on each side and larger honkers should be cooked for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Do not over cook the meat.
- The meat should be rare in the center when done.
- Once the meat is cooked put it on a plate and allow it to cool before placing it in the refrigerator. The meat should be stored in a sealed container or the refrigerator will take on a garlic odor.
- Allow the meat to get well chilled. I leave mine in the refrigerator over night.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator and place it on a cutting board.
- Cut the meat as thin as possible. Make each slice as large as possible by cutting the meat at angle almost parallel to the cutting board.
- Only cut enough meat for the number of sandwiches to be made.
- Cooked breast meat will stay moist in the refrigerator for several days.
- When making a sandwich just follow the same technique for a roast beef sandwich.
- Use mayonnaise, salt and pepper, lettuce and tomatoes.
- The lettuce and tomatoes I use are fresh from my garden so that makes each sandwich just that much better.
- Horseradish or specialty mustards may be used as a spread to give the sandwich added zest.
- Cheese and pickles are good additions to the sandwich also.
- Precooking the breast meat and chilling it makes it easy to prepare a sandwich. I think you will like this idea.