Smoked Goose Breast
Submitted by: Wendi H. - CA
- ½ goose breast
- Soaked cherry wood chips
- 1 pound fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Season goose breast with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.
- Put in barbeque or smoker with wet cherry wood chips.
- Smoke for 1-2 hours depending upon your barbeque.
- The goose should be medium when done.(If you need to, it can be finished in the oven or over a regular barbeque flame.)
- Zest orange and set aside. While goose is cooking put cherries, sugar and orange juice into sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer until cherries are soft and break up a bit. The glaze will get very thick.
- As the goose breast becomes done, add the one cup of red wine and allow it to simmer to incorporate.
- Slice the goose breast and smear with the cherry compote.
- Sprinkle the zest over the top of the warm goose and sauce and enjoy. (I typically serve a nice green salad and someroasted veggies with this dinner as the goose is very decadent.)