The Tannery Basic Tanning Kit will give you the tools and knowledge necessary to finish a hide with a beautiful hair-on or leather tan. Eight years in the making, The Basic Tanning Kit was developed by a professional tanner with 27 years of experience. The kit utilizes a simple salt-alum process that is widely used. What makes this kit unique is the specially formulated oil. Alum tanning alone can leave you with a hard and crusty hide when improperly finished. This unfortunate state is prevented by using this specially formulated oil. It is a water soluble oil that will make the hide soft and supple without leaving the hide greasy or oily feeling.
The kit is designed so that the process can be completed in a small area over several days. (Some steps take 24-48 hours to finish. If you live in a very humid area, it may take longer.) There is very little mess and there are no harsh chemicals to worry about. The included book contains formulas for tanning Deer, Elk*, Moose*, Antelope, Cow Calves, Goats, Sheep, Coyotes, Foxes, and Raccoons.
* Elk and Moose will require more tanning oil and tanning crystals than provided in the kit.
The Tannery Basic Tanning Kit Features:
- Hair-On or Leather Tanning
- Enough to tan an average deer hide
- Instructional book that contains formulas for manyd hides and furs
- Entire process is completed on a board
- No large vats or tubs required
- All chemicals are non-toxic and bio-degradable
The Basic Kit includes:
- Step-By-Step book
- 1 bottle of Tanning Crystals
- 1 bottles of Tanning Oil
- Hide Scraper
- Sand Paper